HOME ABOUT WHAT IS A HERITAGE AREA? EVENTS GRANTS BLUE CRAB BYWAY PHOTO GALLERY
Our Events & Announcements
LESHC 16th Annual Luncheon Meeting & Heritage Awards
Heritage Award 2016 Nomination Round Now Open
We are happy to announce it is nomination time again for our Annual Heritage Awards All nominations are due to LESHC no later than March 31, 2015. Keep it brief but take the opportunity to extol the virtues of those people or organizations you think really needs recognition for Heritage related works. There are 7 categories so there is for room for everyone!
Please make sure to read the guidelines and category rules. Also find a list of all our previous Heritage Award Winners. Keep those nominations coming in!
Go to the Heritage Award link for information and to download a form.
 
This Month
In Delmarva History
August 1, 1859
The first lighting of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse was on this date.

August 4, 1861
Several parties of armed Secessionists on the Eastern Shore of Virgina were dispersed by Union troops.

August 5, 1813
British boats under the command of Colonel Sidney Beckwith occupied Kent Island Maryland staying until August 27.

August 8, 1941
Fort Miles was named in honor of Lieutenant-General Nelson A. Miles. The fort was created as the Harbor Entrance Control Post to protect the Delaware Bay and River.

August 9, 1815
Berlin, Maryland native, Captain Stephen Decatur concludes a treaty for the United States with Tripoli.

August 10, 1813
Residents of Saint Michaels Blackout learned of an impending British attack. Townspeople kept their homes dark then tied lanterns to tree branches and the tops of ship masts. This fooled the British into overshooting the town. Only one house was hit by the bombardment.

August 11, 1974
54 boats competed in the first White Marlin Open. Wince Sorenson of Bowie, Maryland was its first place winner earning a prize of $5,000.

August 13, 1813
In the Battle of Slippery Hill, the Queen Anne's County militia skirmished with approximately 300 British troops in Queenstown then, withdrew to Centreville.

August 15, 1951
The Delaware Memorial Bridge opened to traffic connecting New Castle, Delaware, and Pennsville, New Jersey.

August 19, 1989
Thunderstorms in southeastern Delaware washed out fourteen bridges and damaged twenty-six major roads.

August 20, 1866
Troops were sent to Drummondtown, on the eastern shore of Virginia, to suppress violence between the whites and blacks.

August 21, 1888
Waterspouts were seen over the Chesapeake Bay as tornados erupted across Maryland and Delaware.

August 23, 1933
A hurricane of destroyed much of downtown Ocean City and created a new inlet at South Second Street.

August 24, 1682
After the British secured the colony from the Dutch, The Duke of York awarded William Penn a deed to the "Three Lower Counties" that make up the present state of Delaware.

August 27, 2011
During Hurricane Irene, the inlet light and channel marker were sheared off the breakwater. Nearby, the fishing pier sustained structural damage as well.

August 27, 1610
English Captain Samuel Argall, anchors in Delaware Bay and names the area in honor of the Lord de la Warre, Sir Thomas West, Governor of Virginia. This lead to "de la Warre" and later Delaware being applied to the Bay and River.

August 28, 1609
Captain Henry Hudson, an Englishman in the employ of the Dutch discovers the entrance to Delaware Bay
never mind that native peoples had been living here for many centuries.

August 30, 1781
A 24-ship French naval force arrived at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay to later defeat a British fleet at the battle of Virginia Capes.

August 31, 1814
British troops came ashore and attacked an encamped regiment in the Battle of Caulk's Field near Chestertown, Maryland.
Follow Us On Facebook


 JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
EMAIL SKIPJACK EMAIL LESHC
SHARE SHARE THIS PAGE

. AFRICAN AMERICANS
. BICYCLE TOURING
. BIRD WATCHING
. BOATING
. CAMPING
. ENVIRONMENT
. FISHING
. HERITAGE & NATURE
INTERPRETIVE SITES
. HIKING & WALKING
. HISTORIC BUILDINGS
. HUNTING
. KIDS STUFF
. LOWER SHORE ARTS
. MARITIME HISTORY
. NANTICOKE RIVER
. NATIVE AMERICANS
. TRADITIONAL FOODS
. WICOMICO RIVER

Blue Crab Byway
Arts and Times
Homegrown
Lower Eastern Shore Heritage Council
  Maryland Heritage Area
Proud Member of Skipjack.net