Metropolitan United Methodist Church
30522 East Broad Street
Princess Anne, Maryland

The original congregation of this church consisted of Negro slaves who worshiped int eh balcony of the St. Andrews Episcopal Church in Princess Anne. These slaves organized themselves into a separate church and erected a frame building on the farm of Georgia Jones circa 1842. It was named the John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church.

During the Civil War, the free black community was actively involved in education and established the first black school in Somerset County. While in search of property, they settled for a cemetery purchased from Hamden Deshields. Along with the school, they built a church with the same name and held worship services there from Civil War days until 1886.

As the membership increased, the facility became inadequate and a new location was sought. Land was purchased from Thomas Dixon which was then the site of the old county jail and an auction block where Negroes were sold during slavery. This property, located on Broad Street was purchased on June 3, 1884 for $400.

The cornerstone of the present church was laid on September 30, 1886 and the name Metropolitan Methodist Episcopal Church was given. Over the years, renovation, attentive care and the need to maintain a place for worship have kept the congregation an active one to the present day. The current name is Metropolitan United Methodist Church.

For additional information:
30522 East Broad Street
P.O. Box 361, Princess Anne MD 21853